Saturday, January 6, 2018

Equipment Review for MICROspikes

When I first heard of MICROspikes (by Kahtoola) I thought they were talking about those cheap little things ( Spike Shoe Anti Slip Ice Gripper) you put over your shoes with tiny little spikes I had seen older people wear. Now, mind you, I have had a pair of Yaktrax for years and they work really well on slippery ice. So when I learned in my hiking group that MICROspikes were much more advanced gear for hiking I bought a pair and haven't looked back. I even climbed to the summit of Mt. Ruth in them. I only slipped twice that day and probably should have used actual crampons but was totally safe. Besides we were roped up and had ice axes for self arresting if the need arose.
On an icy/slushy recent hike I only slipped once going downhill. See the photo.
I highly recommend this product for anyone who hikes or walks in the winter. They will also work well for people who have a lot of property or animals to care of out in the country. They work perfectly well and bite deeply into pure ice...like my driveway and road this morning as I walked to get the mail!

No comments:

Post a Comment